Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Orchard Plan

My orchard is going in to an area that is approximately 60' E-W and 25' N-S. I am going to plant in a Hedgerow style with N-S rows spaced 9' apart with the trees in each row spaced 4' apart. I messed around with trying to build the soil up over the summer with "green manure". Robert over at xtremehorticulture told me I was probably wasting my time and he was right! Rule #1 : listen to the expert, especially if he's an experienced expert. I tried everything from buckwheat to leftover seed from my wires exotic birds, it all came up fairly well but my chickens devastated everything green in the whole area. So what's that all about? just pointing out that I still ain't learned my lesson. Robert kept trying to nudge me away from hedgerows so what did I do? As laid out above I'm planting my trees in hedgerows! That's the wonderful, or maybe terrible thing about the web, it ain't very hard at all to find some intelligent sounding guy that's posted an article (or blog) that you can use to justify whatever preconceived notion you may have. Rule #2 : if your looking for authoritative advice about growing fruit trees in Las Vegas listen to Robert over at knows more than Max.com.
My Orchard area looking East
My Orchard area looking generally West

No comments:

Post a Comment